Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Parent reaches out through YouTube


I don’t know how to react when a distressed parent reaches out. Should I be happy or sad.... as it hurts still to know that there is a child who will begin a journey I already am on and happy that in this big world they found me for a support that I can extend. It’s always a journey I relive each time I have a new parent who reaches out. Today was just like that! A mum reaches out just as I finished lunch and settled down to read on a cold day. I planned to snuggle in with my online reading. A lady messaged on messenger and for some odd reason I quickly respond. Her month old baby is deaf and she is desperate for help. Before I ask her for details I asked how she knows about me. Her response gave me a bit of comfort as I wonder at times if all my online work is of any help to anyone. She was looking for deafness on YouTube and found our videos!! She called up and we spoke for over 2 hours! I was pleasantly surprised to know that she has nearly seen every video I have put on YouTube since the last month!! Each time I told her about a technique or incident ....she said she saw it and she completed what I had to say!! I was appalled to say the least!! She has been in various support groups and updated herself in the last one month through every way and she was inspired and motivated by our story so much so that she was ready to fly to Jakarta to meet me!! I am humbled and yet so happy that she has found ma’am to guide her through her videos and I can help her till she needs us! Just a month of being a mum has been so difficult and yet this mum is brave to fight odds for her baby! I feel so positive about this family and I pray and hope that we are able to give her that hope and direction in this world till she learns her way, gets steady and finds her wings to fly like many other mums. As I turned ready eyed at a few moments...I recalled my journey and felt grateful for all that I updated online so that some desperate mother somewhere can find help just the way I did 14 years ago! Each of these kids has been special and each mother taught me and motivated me to never stop writing and sharing my journey through their ways. She is in a place and country where she has all the support imaginable and all facilities....yet she found our journey worth listening to. What more can I say.....thank you Ma Alaka Hudlikar. Here is to you!! There is no mentor like you anywhere in the world. I am blessed and a chosen one to be your student.  

2 comments: