Sunday, January 7, 2018

A feedback from a deperate parent

 
A feedback
 I love it when parents write in to me with the desperate expectation of finding solutions for their child who has issues either with hearing or speech. Last 10 years of writing has brought me across many desperate parents and its always a humbling experience to be able to support them in their desperate attempt to find help. Not all have deafness issues, few even have just speech corrections which with my logical explanation, the parents find it helpful and they get it right with guidence over a period of time over regular phone calls. One such recent ones I shall write about.
    The parent found my page named "Mrs. Alaka Hudlikar". She reached out saying her 7 year old son has issues with saying "K" "G". It affected everything he said that used these alphabets. She has been in touch with many speech therapists in Mumbai who said he should gargle, blow bubbles, sip through starws and do all kinds of exercises that shall help his throat GAIN STRENGTH !!! It blows my mind truly! What are these therapists learning and which university is teaching them this? Little kids often misprounounce and do we give them throat strengtheneing exercises? Or do we just laugh it off and say it correctly and kids correct it eventually? I really get upset at this. I don't know how many parents just do what is being told and stop looking for answers and how many like Charmi, still keep seeking.
   Charmi messaged to me on the page and we sceduled a call. We talked in detail about his issues and I advised him on corrections with tons of examples which is my speciality. She promised to work on it and get back in a week or so if she finds improvement. It gave me immense happiness to see these few lines. I owe it to my mentor and I dedicate each one of these feedbacks to my mentor Mrs. Alaka Hudlikar, she gave me what no other could have probably given me. I hope to continue this work for as long as I can.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment