Sunday, March 25, 2018

Bollywood moves at school

 
 Being into creative arts myself I always dreamt of a little girl who would be into all kinds of creative stuff...in fact I had this dream for both my kids and I saw it equally in both my kids. Yet as boys will be boys, he being good yet doubted himself and eventually have left being a "nag" but in the heart of hearts....the dream lives on. I wait for him to get back into it some day. Yet being a girl child, Prisha loves the dressing, the moves, groves, arty stuff and all things creative. I also have spent her early years teaching her to speak with creativity being a base. Hence she never got bored and was very excited about little things. She picked up a lot quickly.
    Having doubts about speech in the initial years was normal with a deaf child. Yet I always dreamt that my kids would sing as well as I was heavily into singing in my growing up years. So it was a blow to hear that all my singing in the 1st year of her birth literally fell on 'deaf ears' ! Yet I didn't give up that dream and while she did her job in the washroom, I would sing various notes in music with expressions to help her differentiate between the notes.Soon we were singing away our daily sentences and she copied me like a monkey! It was fun time therapy with her doing exactly what I did. Soon started her on dancing with the TV on....looking at all the hindi Bollywood dances. Encouraging her with no idea of how much she was picking up. I feel at times it good to be ignorant and keep walking your belief. She would dance to "Kajrare kajrare" of Aishwarya Rai and I would like it. It kept us busy as well plus the destressing factor.
Touch the sky!!
    Moving to Germany gave her a chance to take part in the International festivals. She performed on all the Indian dances along with her gang of girls. She worked very hard on it and as I had worked early on her in terms of rhythm, she was moving well on the beats.
    She loves Bollywood and hence when here in Jakarta, we got a chance, she would take part in dances. Yet she wasn't as encouraged as they felt the kids prefer the Hip Hop style and modern dances!! She still kept doing where she could manage. Her love for Bollywood made her feel the need to keep pining for a chance. Her aunt would encourage her by sending her beautifully stitched Indian dresses which she loved to show off!

Go for it my girl!!
     Moving mid term in NJIS, we soon realized she had a chance to perform in the Talent show! She was very sure she wanted to do Bollywood! A great chance to wear her lovely clothes. The Indian school suffocated her desires sadly and its ironical the multicultural school was so excited! So many kids and teachers said they can't wait to see her dress and dance in Bollywood style. Her music teacher even said she could dress secretly and turn up on stage to surprise the school. So we were all set and ready to perform. She suddenly looked grown up and all ready to move! She had been sick with the stomach bug all week and was very weak, yet her desire to perform was so strong that she kept all her sickness aside. I was afraid she might have a black out with barely any food for over a week, yet we focused on her dance.
     She watched Youtube for the latest dance Ghoomar and since time was short, she decided to put two together so that she is able to do a 3 min performance without issues. The later half was a dance she had done earlier. I loved the enthusiasm and the way she downloaded an app and found a perfect way to make the music flawless!
It matters to be acknowledged.

     On stage, she did a good job and we heard the crowd cheering for her. It was so heart warming to see each teacher, many parents and kids flocking to her and complimenting! Few knew of her disability and hence they were pretty baffled about it! As she basked in all the glory....she moved to the elevator to go back, her classmates were waiting there as well. They all cheered her and she was thrilled. It was perhaps the first time she found acceptance in class that made her extremely happy. They cooperated in taking pictures with her and she felt so thrilled. Its very important for everyone feel accepted and this acceptance works as a boost for confidence in us. I saw how this change of school and performance made her happy. My friends who have seen her dark phase say she looks happier and face is clearing up. She looks happier and calmer and it makes me grateful for what it is now. We hope to soon perform again at school and help her blossom more. She has been through a lot since her birth and we as family can only support and help her in her journey which isn't easy. Specially being global citizens, life does come with a price!
The link to her dance is Here !

No comments:

Post a Comment