Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Motherhood challenge


Today was a very busy day! I had many mothers that needed help. What I am realizing is how complicated it looks yet it’s very very simple. Speech delay for various reasons. The age ranges from 1.5-3 and most mothers are concerned about the children not being able to speak. As I ask for videos I realize so much has changed from the time I became a mother 23 years ago. Mothering has become a difficult task and it has different kind of challenges. The speech delay is of a concern early by parents. And rightly so. Reasons are many and as I watch the videos...I find most children don’t have proper diagnosis. Most mothers are waiting for diagnosis, have diagnosis but aren’t too sure if it’s right, have speech therapists but I am not happy with what I am seeing. It’s unnatural and is taking away the joy of learning in children. They are not interested or just have too much going on or can’t process all that’s happening around and so speech delay is happening. I had many conversations today...few were feedbacks and progress of sessions done few days ago and few were new! It’s getting more clear to me that the kids born today shall have lot of challenging situations creating issues with speech. I am not surprised that most kids aren’t talking due to various reasons due to the environment around that’s not conducive to learning language and maybe are being termed autistic or being given other terms. Decades ago we barely heard of autism, hyper or ADHD. Today kids are quickly being labeled. Most cases today that I have do not look autistic but require an environment that creates space for learning and is rich in language. Mothers today are anxious and the need to make their kids smart is putting a pressure of different kind. Kids have tons of resources which they don’t need. They just need a space that just lets them be kids and to let them enjoy a natural and organic way of growing up. Few mothers have told me how well they are responding after a session with me. The autism tag seems to be under question and they are having lesser pressure and are enjoying teaching or learning with the children. It gives me so much joy as that’s how it should be. Let’s not separate the mother from the child but make learning or therapy a part of everyday life. Most therapies look like a wall that’s so hard to climb. I am hoping to break more of these walks and connect more mothers with their children. Grateful that I have so much to offer to mothers of today thanks to the mentor I have! Mrs. Alaka Hudlikar I have so much respect for you and can just show the world what good a therapist you are! I am extremely fortunate to have you. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this blog. please keep sharing.

    Hearing loss is a major problems or disease. Hearing less is also a type of hearing loss. When you use Hearing Aids in Jaipur, you can get rid of these problems.

    ReplyDelete